My husband has been putting in some LOOOONG hours lately…between planting, dirt work and cattle, the poor guy hardly gets to rest this time of year. One day last week we caught some rain, which usually translates to the equipment is stopped and my husband will be home for dinner. One of his favorite things to eat is his mother’s Cherry Pie recipe. When he gets rained out and will be home for a warm meal, I usually try to treat him to an extra special one. I decided to whip up a quick cherry pie,
I did not have the right ingredients for a two pie crust, 🙂 I decided to get creative and try a crumb top cherry pie to change it up a bit. It turned out delicious…so delicious, I had to ward off the kiddos to snap a picture before they devoured it. Well, and then hide it so my husband could have some when he got home. This would be a perfect addition to your summer gatherings. Think Memorial Day, 4th of July….
- 1 pie crust
- 4-5 cups frozen tart cherries, thawed and drained
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Crumb Topping:
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold butter, cubed
- Place pie crust in bottom of a 9" pie plate and flute edges, set aside
- in a large bowl, combine filling ingredients and pour into crust
- For topping combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over pie
- Bake at 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes until crust golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges of pie crust with foil until last 10-15 minutes to avoid burning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Enjoy!