If you would have asked 5 years ago if I would like a “Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich”, I would have tried to politely respond with a “No, thank you.” Then I would have spent time contemplating what in the world that was, and what exactly that would look like. Hmmm…
Fast forward, and in our world today, it seems we have headed to a trend of healthy and “clean eating”. This salad is loaded with nutrients, protein, fiber, and avocado – a favorite – Superfood. Much to my surprise, I actually LOVE this sandwich because not only is it healthy, but it is simple, easy, and fulfilling too. I may be burnt out from all the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we had this summer. This is a great refreshing twist. The small amounts of lime juice and cilantro really pep it up, too.
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed); remove outer shells, if desired
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 t. lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- good sandwich bread
- sprouts, lettuce, or fresh tomatoes, if desired
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or potato masher smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread salad on bread and top with your favorite toppings.
- Note: This salad also works as a dip. Serve with pita chips or crackers. Eat the day it is made, due to the avocado turning brown.