I’ve been making these delectable little appetizers for years using a Paula Deen recipe that called for chicken pieces wrapped in bacon, dredged in chili powder and brown sugar. (You can never go wrong with Paula Deen and bacon, right?!?!)
Every time I take them to a party, they fly off the plate. Recently, when I was preparing these for a get-together, my husband walked by and casually mentioned how good they would be with a jalapeno piece added as well.
I really wasn’t sure that these could be improved upon, but husband was right! The jalapeno added a little kick to the already sweet and smoky flavor. Perfect!
- 1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
- 1 pound package sliced bacon
- ⅔ C brown sugar
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 C sliced canned jalapeno (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut each bacon slice into thirds.
- Place a jalapeno slice on top of a chicken cube; wrap in bacon, and secure with a toothpick.
- Stir together brown sugar and chili powder.
- Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture.
- Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until bacon is crisp.