It’s one of those iconic desserts that goes together with summertime and checkered picnic blankets. Cherry pie goes fast at our house. Vanilla ice cream is always necessary.
Although, I did not use fresh cherries this year, I was glad to find that you can purchase the frozen sour cherries – just make sure you do get the sour cherries for pies and tarts – and not the cherries with pits.
- 2 - 9" pie shells - homemade or frozen pie crusts
- 5-6 c. sour cherries, drained
- 1 t. almond extract
- ¼ t. red food coloring, if desired
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ c. flour
- 1 c. sugar, and more for sprinkling
- 1 T. butter
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place pie crust into 9" pie pan - prick bottom of crust with a fork, and flute edges as desired.
- Mix cherries, almond extract, food coloring, salt, flour, and sugar in medium sized mixing bowl.
- Dot with butter.
- Place second crust on top sealing and crimping edges and making slits for air or make a lattice crust (if desired).
- Crack an egg in a small bowl and quickly whisk.
- Using a pastry brush, brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover edges with foil to prevent burning.
- Let cool.