The first time I had this soup, I thought it was the best thing ever! And now, I still do! Denise introduced this to me. It was first shared with her from her sister-in-law, Debbie, and we consistently use this recipe at our home.
This soup is so delicious…maybe because yes, there is Velveeta! You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts or skin and debone chicken pieces. I typically use about 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken for this soup.
Usually I cook the chicken first, then I cook one cup of rice in one cup chicken broth. Then I cut up 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, and 1/2 c. onion. Zucchini is also a wonderful vegetable to add to this soup.
Then combine chicken, rice, vegetables, 4 cups of water, and rotele in a pot and simmer for several hours – until vegetables are cooked.
Once vegetables are soft, then add 8 oz. of cubed Velveeta. Simmer until melted.
Enjoy with good bread!
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- ½ c. chopped onion
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 (15oz.) can mild Rotele tomatoes
- 4 c. water
- 8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook chicken and shred. Set aside.
- Cook rice.
- Combine chicken and rice in a pot on medium-low. Add 4 c. water
- Then cut up vegetables and add to the pot. Add Rotele.
- After vegetables are tender, add cubed Velveeta. Add chicken bouillon.
- Simmer until cheese has melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.