All I can say about this recipe is wrapped up in one word….YUM! Actually, I do have more to say about this hearty dish. 🙂 Every time I make it here at home, I hear these 3 words, “Calico Beans? Yum.” And every time I take it to a potluck dinner I hear these 3 words again, “Calico Beans, Yum!” Maybe I don’t make’em often because it does make a big dish just for our table. Maybe I don’t make them often because I don’t usually have the lima beans and the butter beans in the pantry. (Shame on me!) That’s no excuse. I must train myself to keep those items on the shelf or in the freezer, because this tried and true and delicious recipe is so quick and simple to make. Even the little ones will eat it. (Guess they don’t know there are lima beans in it!)
QUICK…….EASY…….DELICIOUS……BIG AMOUNT……AND I ALWAYS GO BACK FOR…..
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ lb bacon, cut up
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 rounded t prepared mustard
- ½ sugar
- 2 t vinegar
- ½ C brown sugar
- ½ C ketchup
- 1 can butter beans, drained
- 1 can lima beans, drained
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can Pork and beans, not drained
- Brown beef, bacon and onion in large pot.
- Add mustard, sugar, vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup and give it a good stir.
- Add all the beans. Let simmer on stove-top or transfer to oven at 250 degrees for an hour or transfer to crock pot and let simmer.
My sweet and dear friend, Vernelle gave this recipe to me when I first met her at Bethel Baptist. She is an awesome cook, along with so many other gifts and talents! Vernelle and her recipe have been complimented so many times. I need to tell her! Hope you enjoy it, too.