I promise you you’re going to love this recipe. It just may be my all-time favorite, and hopefully it will be yours too! It’s really quite simple, so don’t let the size of the recipe box fool you.
First, take that batch of bucket bread dough
out of the refrigerator and let it set a few minutes. I like to work with it at room temperature. Pull off enough dough to make a large grapefruit size amount, then……follow this recipe:
- Dough from Bucket Bread, large grapefruit sized-amount
- Caramel Topping:
- 6 T butter, softened
- ½ t salt
- ½ C brown sugar
- 1 C pecans, chopped, halved or whole. I also use black walnuts
- The Filling:
- 4 T butter, softened
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ t ground nutmeg
- ½ C chopped pecans (optional)
- Topping: Cream together butter, salt and brown sugar. Spread evenly over the botton of 9" cake pan or 8"x8" cake pan. Scatter pecans over the mixture and set aside.
- Dust surface of counter-top with flour and roll out dough into a ⅛" thick rectangle.
- Filling: Cream together butter, sugar and spices. Spread over dough and sprinkle top with nuts. (Optional). Starting with long side, roll up into a log.
- With serrated knife, cut log into 8 equal pieces and arrange over the pecans in the pan with the swirled edge facing upward. Makes it look prettier! 🙂 Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel and let rise for about 40 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake about 40 minutes, or until golden brown. While still hot, run knife around inside edge of pan to release rolls, and invert immediately onto serving dish.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
There’s that wonderful book again….Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois
Quickly invert pan onto plate or platter…..
Yes…..it is a gooey, buttery, caramely wonderful mess! I just keep working at that mess on the plate, little by little……to clean it up…………………………………..with my fingers. 🙂
And invite that special someone to sit for a bit with a fresh cup of coffee or tea, a listening ear, a heart-warming story and a joy-filled smile. You’ll be so glad you did.