My husband loves ordering scones at coffee shops, but I had never made them at home. Recently, on a lazy weekend morning, I decided to make these blueberry scones with glaze.
The recipe started off strong with this grated butter…..
And ended like this….
So I’d say that it was pretty successful. With the flavors of blueberry and lemon and butter and the crunchy sugar and creamy glaze on top, these had it all!
- For the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 and ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C butter
- ½ C heavy cream or milk
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 heaping C blueberries (fresh or frozen, do not thaw)
- sugar for sprinkling on top before baking
- For the glaze:
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 3 T milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Grate the butter. Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, or your fingers, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream (or milk), egg, lemon juice, and vanilla together. Stir into the flour mixture until moistened. Fold in the blueberries. Do not overwork the dough. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a pizza cutter. Top with a sprinkle of sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- To make the glaze, whisk all of the glaze ingredients together and drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.