The holidays were full of so much fun, fun, fun! And sugar, sugar, sugar! You know what I mean? Don’t get me wrong; I loved the cookie exchanges, treats at church, the baked goods, the peppermint mochas, the neighborly surprise treats, etc., etc., etc.
It’s now time for me to try to balance out all of those wonderful indulgences out with some sensible, healthy choices as well. Enter, the muffin in a mug….
This little dandy is my way of saying “No!” to the unhealthy and a big “Yes!” to the healthy during breakfast (or snacks, or desserts) at this time of the year. And believe me, since the muffin in a mug is warm, decadent, and bursting with berries, it’s really not too tough of a decision. (Did I mention that it only takes about 3 minutes to prep and 1 minute to bake in the microwave? And that the only dirtied dish is the mug?! Win-Win-Win!)
This muffin comes from one of my favorite nutrition books, Trim Healthy Mama, and I love it because it’s sugar and carb free. And it’s packed full of protein and healthy fats, which keep me full all morning long.
Whip up one of these warm, delightful treats. You’ll be so glad you did!
- 1 egg
- 2 T golden flax meal.
- 2 T almond flour
- 2-4 t of Stevia (Truvia or Gentle Sweet)
- ½ t aluminum free baking powder
- 1 flat T coconut oil
- ¼ C blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- butter (optional)
- Crack 1 egg into a coffee cup and whisk it well with a fork.
- Add 2 T golden flax meal.
- Add 2 T almond flour.
- Add 2-4 t of Stevia (Truvia or Gentle Sweet)
- Add ½ t aluminum free baking powder
- Add 1 flat T coconut oil
- Stir vigorously with a fork until mixed together.
- Fold in ¼ C blueberries.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
Another mug breakfast idea… individual pancakes in a mug! So delicious without the mess of a griddle or skillet.