Tis the season for strawberries….err, wait a minute, not so much. But in the eyes of my three year old, whom checked out a Strawberry shortcake book from the library it is!
After days of her talking and dreaming about “shortcakes” I finally conceded and we agreed to make a batch and deliver them to the guys in the field. Little Miss, was ecstatic and helped the entire time, even “reading” me the recipe! It was a fun Saturday morning (yes, in our pj’s) baking, licking the bowl and delivering our treats to the guys in the field!
- 6 vanilla cupcakes without frosting
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- whipped cream
- Wash, dry and cut stems off of your strawberries
- Place sliced strawberries in a bowl with the sugar and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out the berries juice
- Slice your cupcakes in half
- Place half of your cupcake in an individual size glass, top with strawberries and whipped cream, layer with top half of your cupcake and top with the remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
While making these “shortcakes” I got an important reminder….you don’t have to have your weekend filled with big adventures and expensive things, kiddos just like spending time with you. This could be a baking together, a homemade art project, going to the park. It’s the quality, undivided time they enjoy! My second reminder was to enjoy the process and worry about the mess later. ha!
What activity are you doing with your family this weekend?