Our family loves pretty much everything Mexican, and we seem to eat it at last one a week. These tostadas are especially fun to make. The kids love to jump right in and add the meat mixture, cheese, and toppings to these crunchy, yummy creations.
These come together really quickly and make a perfect weeknight meal. We start with a creamy ground beef mixture that only requires four ingredients: ground beef, refried beans (fat-free work great!), Rotel tomatoes and peppers, and taco seasoning.
That delicious beef and bean combo gets spread on tostada shells…
and topped with your favorite cheese. We use cheddar, co-jack, or pepper-jack… just whatever we’ve got on hand.
We bake them up to crispy, melty perfection…
And then have lots of fun with the toppings! We love salsa, taco sauce, crisp lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, and sour cream. Guacamole would also be great with these. Tostadas are great for a family like ours because everybody gets to top them with their favorites.
These go so well with Molly’s Guacamole and Salsa, and we also use Shelby’s homemade taco seasoning with these as well. I also plan to serve these soon with this delicious Mexican Street Corn Salad, a new recipe on The Gingham Apron.
- For the tostadas:
- 8 Tostada Shells
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 can fat-free refried beans
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and peppers
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 C shredded cheese (Cheddar, Co-Jack, Pepper Jack or cojita)
- For the toppings (choose your favorites):
- lettuce, finely chopped
- sour cream
- tomatoes, chopped
- taco sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Brown the ground beef, and drain any excess fat.
- Over low heat, add the refried beans, Rotel, and taco seasoning to the beef and heat through for 1-2 minutes.
- Spread about ¼ C of the beef mixture on each tostada, and top with cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and top with your favorite toppings.