I have a very vivid memory of my Grandma Betty bringing me delicious beef and noodles a few days after I had our first baby. It was absolutely divine…. warm and delicious, and perfect when I was needing a little extra comforting. Just what I needed.
I don’t think that there was a certain recipe for hers; it was probably just something that she “threw together” like so many of her perfect recipes were.
On this cold, blustery day, I felt like some of her beef and noodles. I did my best to replicate the flavors that I remember in hers, and it turned out really yummy. The kids loved it, and they loved hearing a few Grandma Betty stories while we visited at supper.
She was the best!
- 1 T oil
- 2 lbs lean stew meat
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 12 oz package of Frozen Homestyle Egg Noodles
- Mashed potatoes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat oil in dutch oven on high heat for about 1 minute.
- Add half of the stew meat and brown lightly for about 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add second half of the stew meat and brown lightly for about 2 minutes.
- Return first half of meat to pan; stir in broth, onion soup mix, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Cover dutch oven and place in preheated oven. Cook in oven for 3-4 hours or until stew meat is fork-tender.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Remove beef from oven, remove bay leaves, and stir in cooked noodles. Serve immediately over mashed potatoes or on their own.
And speaking of Grandma Betty, I serve beef and noodles piled high on top of mashed potatoes. My favorite mashed potatoes are these: Grandma Betty’s Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes.