I have been making these balsamic lime fajitas since we first got married- probably because we received a grill for our wedding gift and at first we grilled EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. These chicken fajitas have now become a family favorite, especially with our five kids. When they saw me chopping the veggies this afternoon, someone yelled, “Yay! Mom’s making those grilled chicken burrito things!” (Anything with a tortilla at our house is a burrito.)
The key to these juicy, bursting with flavor fajitas is the marinade that contains balsamic vinegar and lime juice. It truly gives the chicken SO much delicious flavor. I usually try to marinate the meat for at least four hours, but even overnight is great.
While the meat grills, I chop up some colorful peppers and onions. When the chicken is about half cooked, I add the veggies. to the grill on the top rack. I even wrap up the tortillas in some foil and throw it on the grill, too. In the summer, it’s so great to do EVERYTHING we can on the grill (less clean up means more time for swimming and playing at the park!)
I place lettuce, our favorite salsa, some low-fat sour cream, some crispy lettuce and some cheddar cheese on a big platter. And when the meat and veggies are completely grilled, I throw those on that same platter, too. Having everything on one big dish just feel comfortable, simple, and well….. summery.
We sit down as a family, say our prayer to thank God for the food, and the kids DIG IN. Someting that we love about this meal is that everyone can make their fajita just the way they like it. Some like peppers, but not lettuce, and some like cheese, but not sour cream, etc., etc., etc. Everyone is happy with these!
I hope you add these to your next grill-out menu! We think you’ll love the flavor and simplicity of these as much as we do.
- FOR THE MARINADE:
- ¼ C olive oil
- 3 T lime juice
- 2 T balsamic vinegar (red wine vinegar is great, too)
- 2 T finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 t sugar
- ¼ t ground cumin
- pinch of salt and pepper
- FOR THE FAJITAS:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (or about 12 chicken tenders)
- 10 small tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- FOR THE TOPPINGS:
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- (other ideas: avocado, cilantro, black olives, pico de gallo)
- Place chicken in a shallow dish. Mix marinade ingredients and pour over chicken. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but up to 24 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade, and discard marinade.
- Grill the chicken breasts over medium heat unto no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes.
- Grill the peppers and onions on the top rack for about 5 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas in foil on the grill for a few minutes, if desired.
- Slice chicken and serve with the grilled veggies, warm tortillas, and toppings of your choice.