This last month, there was a need to mix-up our menu routine. I was looking for something fresh, flavorful, and delicious. I can get bored with the “basics”, and enjoy trying new recipes. When it comes to Latin food, we love chips and salsa! My one year old son, could eat salsa with every meal (that is no joke!).
So what does Baja mean, anyway? Baja refers to the Baja Peninsula, which is part of Mexico, but stems from the southernmost part of California. I have not yet traveled to the Baja Peninsula, but I have been to Southern California. It didn’t take long for me be swept up by the waves and rocky geologic outcrop. California is a beautiful state with amazing beach access – not to mention – Pacific Highway One! It wasn’t too far into my travels before I encountered my first awakening to Baja Fish Tacos. I recently found this simple recipe, and has become a new favorite. The avocado cream sauce is the secret to these tacos!
Prepare and cook fish to your liking, then spend a few minutes making the special sauce. Ingredients to make the Avocado sauce: mayonnaise, garlic powder, fresh cilantro, avocado, lemon juice, salt, and a splash of water.
Freshly cut cilantro and avocado.
Throw the ingredients into a food processor (or blender). Pulse until smooth consistency. Add water as needed.
Assemble your taco! I did the really easy route with the fish – and used Van de Kamp’s crispy fish tenders. Super simple, and tasty! Fill your tortilla with the fish, then cabbage – I really like the cabbage – it adds a touch of bitterness and more crunch. Throw on big heap of the Avocado sauce – or more – don’t be shy with the sauce 😉 Sprinkle with cilantro, and finally drizzle sriracha if you like the extra heat. Enjoy!
Serve with Chips and Salsa.
- 1 1b. cooked, baked or fried fish (I use one box of Van de Kamp's crispy fish tenders- about 2 per person)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 c. thinly sliced cabbage or slaw
- cilantro for sprinkling
- sriracha (if desired, for extra kick)
- For the sauce:
- 1 avocado
- ⅓ c. fresh cilantro
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. lemon juice
- ½. t. salt
- ¼ c. mayonnaise or plain greek yogurt
- 1-2 T. water (or more if desired)
- In a blender or food processor combine the avocado, lemon juice, cilantro, mayo, salt, and garlic powder until smooth. Add water until desired consistency.
- Assemble tacos with fish, add spoonfuls of avocado sauce, add cabbage and a sprinkling of cilantro. Drizzle with sriracha (if desired).