When I ask my family what they would like for me to make for supper, I usually get two answers, pizza or cheeseburgers. Well, recently I thought, why not combine these two wonderful foods into one?
Introducing Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza. I first made this last week for Friday night pizza night. The kids and hubby and I all loved it, and there were no leftovers (sign of success). All week, they have been requesting it again for this week’s Friday night pizza choice. And I was happy to oblige, because it truly it so scrumptious.
There are two quirky “secret ingredients” in this recipe. First of all, you must flavor the hamburger with some pickle juice. That’s right, just take your jar of pickles out of the fridge and pour about a 1/4 cup of the juice right into the ground beef as it finishes cooking. Weird but effective in the flavor department. I wanted the flavor of dill, but the thought of baking pickles onto a pizza seemed like a mushy, bad idea. The pickle juice was the solution.
And secondly, the pizza sauce for this pizza is a mixture of ketchup and mustard. Again, weird, but so good! You’ll have to trust me on this one. (Hopefully my husband doesn’t read this post, because he hates ketchup, but loved this pizza. :/)
The results are truly delicious. This pizza is so full of bacon-cheesy-beefy-dill pickly-ketchup and mustardy flavor. Try it soon; you’re family will love it! .
ps- If you need a great pizza dough recipe, try this one from Shelby.
- Pizza dough for one 12 inch pizza (about a grapefruit size ball of dough)
- ¼ C ketchup
- 2 T yellow mustard
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ¼ cup pickle juice (from the jar of pickles)
- onion powder
- 3 pieces of bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- ½ C mozzerella cheese, shredded
- ¼ C cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Brown the ground beef.
- When meat is brown, add onion powder and pickle juice and simmer on low for about five minutes.
- In small bowl, mix ketchup and mustard together. Set aside.
- Roll pizza dough out into circle and place onto a greased pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Spread ketchup/mustard mixture evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle on ¼ C of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle on ground beef and bacon.
- Add remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Place tomatoes on top.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until all cheese has melted.