Remember how I talked about, while growing up, I would spending the fourth of July with my family and friends at a local town celebration? Along with all the fun memories of parades, amusement rides and tractor pulls, I have distinct memories of specific dishes that were served year after year. Mmmm, it’s amazing how a recipe can take you back! Do you have any favorite recipes from the fourth?
This simple trifle recipe of my Mother’s is a great summer treat and the ingredients add a patriotic flair to your holiday celebration. Nothing like a tasty and refreshing red, white and blue dessert to celebrate Independence Day!
- 1 loaf angel food cake
- 1 small package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 (8oz) carton cool whip
- 1¼ cups milk
- 1 carton Strawberries sliced (add more as desired)
- 1 pint blueberries (add more as desired)
- Break angel food cake into bite size pieces
- Mix pudding and milk together, fold in cool whip
- Clean and dry fruit (slice strawberries to desired size)
- Place half angel food cake in bottom of small trifle bowl or clear bowl
- Top with ½ pudding mixture followed by half of the strawberries and blueberries
- Repeat layering with remaining ingredients (cake, pudding then fruit)
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
sugar free pudding, skim milk and light cool whip
Can be make into individual size portions by layering ingredients in pint size mason jars or clear 9oz punch cups.
Recipe best if served same day as it was made.