Around our house, we love Chinese and we love beef. So naturally we love beef stir fry. As a mom, I especially like serving it to my family because my kids gobble up the vegetables with no complaints.
I’ve been making it for years with a hoisin based sauce, but I recently realized how much sugar hoisin contains. I stumbled upon a stir fry sauce in my Trim Healthy Mama book that was completely sugar free. We gave it a try, and it’s our new favorite. The recipe for the stir fry sauce calls for two ingredients that were new to me. These are stevia (a natural, plant-based alternative to sugar) and glucomannan powder (a thickening agent that is from the konjac root). If you’d rather not use these ingredients, you can easily substitute sugar and corn starch.
This recipe is full of crunchy and colorful veggies, hearty beef, and a savory sauce. It comes together really quickly, and it just feels great eating it, knowing that there is no sugar or added carbs.
Beef, broccoli, water chestnuts, red peppers, mushrooms, and carrots…. all covered in a delicious sauce. YUM!
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- ½ C soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon stevia (can substitute sugar)
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon glucomannan powder (can substitute corn starch)
- FOR THE STIR FRY:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean beef steak (we use Rib Eye, New York Strip, or Sirloin) cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 14 ounce bag frozen broccoli stir fry mix
- cooked rice (for serving)
- Make the sauce by whisking together soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, stevia, lime juice, and glucomannan powder until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat.
- Add half of the steak strips and fry until lightly browned (about 2 minutes). Turn over and brown that side (about 2 minutes). Remove from pan.
- Add second half of steak strips and repeat browning method. Remove from pan.
- Add red pepper slices and fry until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Return pan to heat and place 2 tablespoons water in the pan. Add the frozen broccoli stir fry mix to water and cover. Steam for about 5 minutes.
- Return steak and red pepper to pan and stir in sauce. Heat until warm throughout.
- Serve with your favorite rice.