Just like every year, June is flying by, and the 4th of July will be here before we know it!
We make this Fourth of July Flag Cake every year. It’s popular around here because its refreshing and delicious. I especially like it because it’s so versatile. I usually make it with a white cake mix, but I have also used strawberry and lemon cake mixes. One year I made it with a Jell-O poke cake (anybody else love retro Jell-O poke cakes?) In others words, just make your favorite cake mix flavor!
The past few years have been really fun because my girls have been old enough to make it almost entirely on their own. Olivia whipped this one up yesterday (a little early so I can share it with all of our Gingham Apron readers.I guess we get to have it twice this year!)
- 1 white, strawberry, or lemon cake mix, prepared according to package directions and baked in a 9 x 13 pan
- 1 tub Cool-Whip
- 2 pints strawberries, halved
- 1 pint blueberries, halved
- When cake is completely cooled, frost with Cool-Whip.
- Arrange strawberries and blueberries in an American flag pattern.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.
The kids suggested that we serve it with some sparklers! A fun way to celebrate America’s birthday.