Tonight we got a hankering for brownies. It was windy and stormy outside. The kids and I had been swimming this afternoon, and we were all really hungry. We agreed that brownies were just the thing we needed, but we didn’t have a brownie mix.
I have seen lots of “1 bowl” brownie recipes before, but had never tried one out. I loved that this one used cocoa powder, which eliminated having to carefully melt chocolate. Also, the recipe was so simple. I melted two sticks of butter in the microwave, while I got out the other four ingredients. Into one big bowl everything went, and in about 2 minutes, the brownies were ready for the oven.
- 1 C flour
- 2 C sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ C cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs and butter.
- Add the flour, sugar, and cocoa powder. Stir until just combined.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Seriously consider serving a la mode!
These were fudgy, chewy, rich and delicious! The top had a slight crust to it, which we loved. I think that this is more than a simple brownie recipe; this recipe is an emergency action plan to put in place when you need a brownie but don’t have a mix. 🙂
Also, if you love frosting on your brownies, give this delicious brownie frosting a try.